George Mason District
National Capital Area Council
Cub Scouts is an organization for boys (1st to 5th grade), which promote good citizenship, responsibility, faith and FUN! Pack 1113 is sponsored by Saint Leo the Great Catholic Church.
Our Pack is an active Pack. There are opportunities for you son to participate each month of the year. However, we encourage involvement in other activities, like sports, and realize 100% attendance is not always practical. Pack 1113 provides opportunities for the boys to go camping several times a year, to assemble and shoot off their own model rockets, learn the safety rules for archery and have time to shoot at targets, build and race pinewood derby cars, go on monthly hikes with our Hiking Club, and learn more about their faith by earning age appropriate religious awards. We also go bowling, to the circus and to baseball games throughout the year. There are many more things that you can do as a Cub Scout at Pack 1113.
Are there any additional expenses that a scout will need to incur besides the dues?
Yes. Besides the Pack dues of $60.00, you may need to purchase the following:
- The Class A Uniform for boys new to scouting or becoming a Webelos scout. The required uniform for Pack 1113 is a shirt, neckerchief, neckerchief slide, and a belt. Optional uniform items include a hat.
- Uniform patches to be attached to the shirt include the NCAC shoulder patch, the purple Leflore (over left pocket), and a Den number patch (or possible a patrol patch for Webelos). The Pack does have a new scout starter patch kit that can be purchased (at cost) at the monthly Pack meetings.
- Various sporting program events such as bowling, and baseball games, or group outing like going to the circus. These program events are voluntary participation, but often help the boys complete achievements towards various badges.
- Summer Camp. Each scout and parent will need to pay for their attendance to a summer camp. While summer camp is strongly encouraged, it is a voluntary activity.
Where can I purchase my son’s uniform?
At the Northern Virginia Scout Shop which is located at 5234 Port Royal Road, Springfield, VA 22151, 703-321-4836, www.ScoutStuff.org.
What is the time commitment?
The scouts generally meet once a month or sometimes twice a month as a den for about an hour to an hour and a half. There is also a monthly Pack Meeting where all the dens gather to receive their awards and engage in an activity.
Parents are required to also volunteer as best they can. There are a variety of opportunities to participate from supporting the den meetings, supporting the pack meetings, to supporting events like the Pinewood Derby. The more time parents invest in their son’s scouting experience the better experience he will have.
Where will the scouts meet?
- Den Meetings: Each grade has a separate Den and a Den Leader. Typically the monthly or semi-monthly den meetings are held at Saint Leo’s in the Old Parish Hall. The Tiger Den (1st graders) will also have “Go See Its” where the scouts will visit a place in our community, like the fire house, or police station.
- Pack Meetings: Are typically held on the third Wednesdays of each month at Saint Leo’s in the school gym. The Pack meetings start at 7:00 and last about one hour.
Is there a point of contact for Cub Scouts?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, with any additional questions you might have about the Cub Scouting program at Saint Leo’s.